- Elon Reeve Musk was born on June 28, 1971, in Pretoria, South Africa.
- He is the founder, CEO, and Chief Engineer at SpaceX; early stage investor, CEO, and Product Architect of Tesla, Inc.; founder of The Boring Company; and co-founder of Neuralink and OpenAI. A centibillionaire, Musk is one of the richest people in the world.
- Musk was born to a Canadian mother and South African father and raised in Pretoria, South Africa.
- He has a bachelor’s degrees in economics and physics.
- He co-found the web software company Zip2 with brother Kimbal. The startup was acquired by Compaq for $307 million in 1999.
- Musk co-founded online bank X.com that same year, which merged with Confinity in 2000 to form PayPal. The company was bought by eBay in 2002 for $1.5 billion.
- By age 12, he sold the code of a BASIC-based video game he created called Blastar to PC and Office Technology magazine for approximately $500.
- An awkward and introverted child, Musk was bullied throughout his childhood and was once hospitalized after a group of boys threw him down a flight of stairs.
- Musk is also a trustee of the X Prize Foundation. In January 2021, he promised to donate $100 million as a prize to whomever developed the best carbon capture technology.